What if Solidar we don't treated as money? [Philosophy and marketing]

Before someone hit the BAN button, consider this:

I was in a meetup about basic income and crypto currencies that follow that path, and we got to a very interesting point.

Money has three caracteristics:

1- It is a store of value against time

2- It is a counting system

3- It is a mean of exchange.

So, Bitcoin, a bit like gold, is a great store of value (1), but it is poor in the points 2 and 3 (for several reasons, some do not have to do with bitcoin itself but to its acceptance in the market as money). Euros and dollars try to tackle all the three, but side effects that are not so desirable. On top of my mind, inflation takes wealth from the people and transfer it to the monetary issuer.

Solidar is by desing a poor store of value. It depreciates itself 20% a year. It is not so much a counting system because  1. there are no prices in Solidar (yet!), and it may be long before we can buy bread at a random corner with a cryptocurrency. BUT it is a great mean of exchange! It is designed to be so, in fact. 

You get coins for free :), and they desapear over time :huh:, the insentives are there for you to expend it^_^. So, what if we have a approach on Solidar more as LIKES on facebook or a voting system and less like money. The difference now is that you can give people LIKES (SDRs) not for a post or a comment, but for any thing that they perform that you think it was of value for society. Or as a voting system when you want to ask a population about something, they will only give you SDRs if they think the proposal is worth it. 

Now it comes the catch. Because we are not treating it as money, people stop wanting to store it (:ph34r:do you know anyone keeping LIKES for himself?!), and would rather use it somehow. The more people use it, the more intrinsic value Solidar will have. Just like LIKES on facebooks, you get infinite of them for free, but companies pay to have people liking their  content! The value of the coin then is not backed up by a exchange, but by people using it.

Am I crazy?

Absolutely not,

i also think that donations for free musik/videos/e-learning/open source software/activists(like wikileaks) is a HUGE use case that can and should not be underestimated. As Solidar is comming for free everybody has the possibility to "vote" for the favorite free work that she/he wants to support.

For that the idea was to organize some internetpage that will list all organizations/artists that will support solidar donations.

:D 

I've been thinking about a small scale real-world trial. Something like an economicaly active but still strugling vilage, or a small university campus that people can find their own use for Solidar. Let's let the tread open and see if someone comes with a good opportunity in the nearby future!

• 2 weeks later...

We will try to experiment with Solidar on a "little" scale. We started to inform people of our italian network about it. The UBI subscriptions iin this week will be about 100 from Italy, that's  a scale of about 60,000,000 people (please @Rik8119 may you verify from the Solidar Facebook page?).  In the middle of 2018 we hope the scale will be littler, on an italian municipality and surrounds, about 600,000 people. 

1 hour ago, magius said:

We will try to experiment with Solidar on a "little" scale. We started to inform people of our italian network about it. The UBI subscriptions iin this week will be about 100 from Italy, that's  a scale of about 60,000,000 people (please @Rik8119 may you verify from the Solidar Facebook page?).  In the middle of 2018 we hope the scale will be littler, on an italian municipality and surrounds, about 600,000 people. 

Hi @magius, thank you a lot that is exactly what is needed to test the currency in principle. How is it possible to have a scale of 60,000 000 with only 100? And what should i verify from the Facebook page? Thank you!

5 hours ago, Rik8119 said:

Hi @magius, thank you a lot that is exactly what is needed to test the currency in principle. How is it possible to have a scale of 60,000 000 with only 100? And what should i verify from the Facebook page? Thank you!

I didn't explained the situation exactly.  The scale is Italy, which has a population of 60,000,000 people. In that week we invited to join, the people only from our network, which is actually about 100 people. More people we hope to involve when the website will be launched.

You can verify from the Facebook page, entering it as page administrator.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:51 AM, magius said:

I didn't explained the situation exactly.  The scale is Italy, which has a population of 60,000,000 people. In that week we invited to join, the people only from our network, which is actually about 100 people. More people we hope to involve when the website will be launched.

You can verify from the Facebook page, entering it as page administrator.

Hi @magius, ok now i understand the 60 mln people but what shoud i verify from which Facebook page. Sorry for the dumb question but i really don't get it ;-).

@Victor Me too!