[Query of Interest] Mining + Organic farming project

• 2 weeks later...

The "greenhouse" is now prettymuch finished :) The thing missing to get the project running, is the miners of which pick up has been delayed due to conflicting time schedules with the friend. Hoping to get them this week though :)

I'll start germinating/planting some of the chillie varieties this weekend (Jigsaw, Fatalii, Goats Weed), but havent decided on the others yet. If anyone has any recommendations or requests for plants, share them now ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Sure is :) The project is kinda "on hold" for the moment, since we didnt manage to meet up with the friend for the miners before his travels :P Will get back to this after the new years ^^

I've also been looking into some other activities here in the town and have gotten interested in green / "free" energy options for heating :) So could be, that we'll build a bigger greenhouse for shared use ^^ But more about this after the holidays too ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sup Arcurus :) Sorry, been a lil out there for the summer and forgot to reply earlier :P
Anyways, all went good and a nice harvest was shared. Since there was only a few people who participated, we went with the smaller greenroom.

I'm currently organizing a group buy for parts to build DIY LEDs on another forum to prepare for a new round of winter growing. If theres interest or question aboots either, the LEDs or the co-op grow, lemme know :)

• 3 months later...

Had to pass the LED group buy miself since lack of time and resources, but used the 600W HPS that I had laying around :) In the end turned out to be good, since the heat was needed anyways :) Been a cold start for the year here in the Viking land, hehe.

I've just finished the latest grow and would be open to have the next one co-op style again (was just me this time). @Bicknellski had some interesting ideas/experiments on his mind too, so maybe one another chance to tie into the FA projects.

Ohh hey Bick, check out this article from hackaday, just came across it a moment ago:
https://hackaday.io/project/9174-growing-education
Growing Education - "Creating a monitoring and control network to the urban farm and aquaponics system at Garinger High School"

*edit: ugh, big picture so dont wanna attach it.. so link: *edit2: or then not, as the hive borg has decided to have it.. so you'll have the pic :D (damns the automatic formatting *prkl*)1934781452688920351.png

Ohh, this one is pretty nice, shiny and tiny IoT kinda device ;) I know ye got yer choice already (ref. to IRC convo), but just wanted to post it up :)
https://hackaday.io/project/9210-restful-io
Restful IO - "A quick and easy way of analog digital io via restful web services & usb"

I'll link the ESP wifi thingy Bick mentioned as well:
http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5953 IOT Manager: Android App for DIY Devices (ESP8266 and Other)
- RasPi (and arduino) connectable! http://www.instructables.com/id/Connect-an-ESP8266-to-your-RaspberryPi/
- Shop for ESP8266 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678 (6.95usd pricetag :D)

After out chat yesterday, I just thought about how to do the mining project:

I would suggest to register the organic mining project on the Freicoin Foundation Web to apply for donations.

the donations we then use to buy miners, and set up maybe a Dash node, or whatever gives a steady inflow of coins.

we mine then what ever gives the most Freicoins on the end.

the heat we use for the greenhouse to farm organic plants.

the plants can then be bought to a reduced price if they are bought through Freicoin

the mined Freicoins we use to invest in further mining / Farming or give to Freicoin projects.

Add some fish ponds to the greenhouse and this becomes even more viable.

Tilapia best fish for captive breeding and farming.

The geographic range for tilapia culture is limited by their temperature-sensitivity. For optimal growth, the ideal water temperature range is 82 to 86 °F (27.7 °C to 30 °C), and growth is reduced greatly below 68 °F (20 °C). Death occurs below 50 °F (10 °C). The miners heat should be recovered as much as possible to keep ponds fairly warm. The water can re-radiate the heat keep the reset of the greenhouse warm enough for plant growth.

Haha Arc :D Thats my plan! Doing it like the Indian dude (wikipedia) who grew the several hundred hectare forest in the desert.. I'll just aim for an all-year warm paradise oasis :D

Hehe, but yeah, fish farming is for sure something that should be done in bigger scale grows :) Something to maybe aim for in the long run.. lets see nearer the summer time if we really want to establish that and we have the chance for it (funding, participants, space from the town, etc.) :)
For now though, since having small space and readily available equipment for the growing stuff, lets start with that ^^

You don't need a lot of space or a lot of fish.

City lots here smaller than your greenhouse I bet turn over a lot of Tilapia in a tiny area. Just one or two of these bad boys and you have enough volume to store heat and grow fish.

ibc-container_M424R_large.jpg

Heat loss in the air remember... get that heat into water you can make it last longer especially in greenhouse situation. Are you doing 2x or 3x layers of plastic over your hoops?

Hmm...
Pretty interesting! Hadn't look deeply enough in the fishfarming yet :) I'm a bit hippy and would like to aim to have somewhat more.. "natural" for a lack of a better word.. environment to grow in than in blank container, haha :D Not that I have anything against, or bad to say about the minimalistic setups, but since having the chance to ~invest (time, money, etc,) in it a bit, why not do it ^^
After seeing your post Bick, it made me connect a few dots/ideas in mi head.. so I could indeed have this going in the next grow if people like the idea :)

Made the thread for the new project, but didnt fill out the description yet. I'll need few things confirmed, and thats for after Monday/Tuesday.

Registered the FreiHemp as a foundation entry, since I messed around with the mining for heat + shares from miners & share electricity idea with it last year with one Finnish bitcoin enthusiast :) And as I have plans for outdoor hemp farming for next summer as well, thats both related to organic farming and co-ops, gathering/combining these similar projects will be easier and less time consuming for me :D hehe

But ok, so for me to arrange the grow space and setup for the start, few things to confirm:
Would you guys participate in updating the growing gear?
The fishfarming is totally doable, but will increase the costs a bit. Depending how big tank we want, the cost seems to range from around 50eur for the initial cost for gear. Cost for the fish itself is a still bit open, but I do know there's few fish farmers in the neighbouring towns :)

I do have soil setups already, but no full hydroponics setup (except for 1 DWC). 600W HPS is also already in use and now in winter time has good efficiency due to the usable heat, but going long term and "promoting" sustainability, LED could be also good addition?

Also, do we want to have this as an "full" co-op; meaning, should we also look into sharing the ownership for all of the grow equipment and miners as well? :)
I mean, if we want to promote usability for others that are thinking of doing similar co-op, we could/should offer expenses for calculating costs for profitability. Since I have the grow equipment ready and I wouldnt mind the experiment for this kind of sharing/co-op; we can look for the avarage price for the models on internet and price according to that (or just agree simple numbers). Then when dividing the shares, credit the worth of that equipment to my balance. :)
(we could also turn the ownership of that equipment / separate items transferrable and have a "market" for it.. but yeah, thats for later)

*edit: Ohh yeah.. also, maybe more efficient miner? S7 or new BitFury if they're available?

haha, to not write a huge posts.. I'll ask those first :)
TL;DR: Are you interested in participating to equipment costs / willing to invest? How much?

Hmm, I'll throw in an clarification and examples to the above; I can adopt the style for the experiment depending on your opinions :) Here's two examples that I have in mind now:

1. Do ONLY the mining shares between participants (this is what we did with the finnish dude)
So only costs are the price of amount of shares one wishes to purchase and the electricity. Only reward will be the income from the mining/shares.
I will personally handle the grow stuff and everything related to it (sell the harvest for FRC in webshop etc.)

2. Do the mining shares + share the harvest or its income when sold
So the same as above (people still can invest varying amounts in the mining), share mining costs and income..
but also share growing equipment expenses and electricity. This way participants can either get their share of the harvest sent to them, or if sold in FRC shop (&matched via FA/FF? ;)), in coins (and choice for donation destination) :)
When project comes to the end or going for equipment upgrades, we can sell the old gear in the internets and get some money back.
Also possible for one to quit in the middle of grow/experiment; he can sell his shares to anyone he can find to accept with a price he wants (discounted for example) without the need from project "admin" :)

*edit: BTW @fedde! Accept my FreiHemp account registration in FreiDC! ;) I'll do an visual explainer with screenshots/recording for the mining shares ^^ Several pictures is worth several thousand words, right? So videos is... 23FPS x nAmount of secods.. yeah, worth a looooooong post :D

8 hours ago, Arcurus said:

i think all is fine, as long as you make transparent for what you use the donation / extra coins from the foundation.

Yeah, the foundation address is public when the application is accepted and I'll post the mining address(es) in the thread when the miners are fired up for the project. How to do it easy and transparent with the shop/harvest sales stuff and the donation choosing will need some work, but there is months of time before that :) Transparency is indeed one of the main ideals ^^

8 hours ago, Arcurus said:

i dont believe much in owning sumething.
for me, do whatever is needed to be done.

Hehe, so to confirm; "TL;DR: Are you interested in participating to equipment costs / willing to invest? How much?" 
So I'll take you're more for the option 1 of the examples? :)

*edit: @fedde ohh, heh, had the wrong link saved for the admin panel, though ye had it moved *doh* All good now :)

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Bicknellski said:

Time to discuss this project again.

Maybe a number of projects should be put up in a kickstarter / stock exchange system?

+1

Would love to see this organic mining project running. As said I would love it Fab would register it on the foundation to get extra support.

For kickstarter I think first is good to outline what we want, then we can look further.

Here is what I suggest:

On 21.1.2016 at 3:15 AM, Arcurus said:

After out chat yesterday, I just thought about how to do the mining project:

I would suggest to register the organic mining project on the Freicoin Foundation Web to apply for donations.

the donations we then use to buy miners( maybe even a Dash node), or whatever gives a steady inflow of coins.

we mine then what ever gives the most Freicoins on the end.

the heat we use for the greenhouse to farm organic plants.

the plants can then be bought to a reduced price if they are bought through Freicoin

the mined Freicoins we use to invest in further mining / Farming or give to Freicoin projects.

to add: of course the extra foundation coins should be used to give back to the freicoin community. This could be reduced prices, supporting other freicoin projects, buying more miners if we need more security for the freicoin blockchain, or simple giving out an universal income. I think the most important thing is here transparency.