[Query of Interest] Mining + Organic farming project

I've decided to acquire some more mining equipment and got this phunny idea of combining a mining and farming project into one, so lets see if there is any people interested in participating on this :D

I live in a section of an old barn and during winter times have to use electricity for heating. So far I have heated just this one room I linger in, and last winter replaced my heaters with miners (gpu rigs and antminer s1's), which were enough for this one room. Now I got a dozen more of these miners, so will heat this room + the kitchen area with them  :)

I've also kept a grow tent in my room during the winter time, to produce chillies, tomatoes, cucumbers and salads for my own use. But, since this barn has a lot of room, I thought of expanding the grow area and offer the extra harvest for sale :)

So, the idea for community mining + farming if theres interest:
I have reserved a small room for the farming expansion and have already decided to go for 3x AntMiner S2's, which should be enough for this room. If there's enough people interested, the space could be expanded further :)

Income from mining could be shared equally with the Fedde's share system. Electricity costs could be covered in either FRC, or then from the sale of the produce from the farming :) I could also cover a chunk of the electricity costs, since part of it is free for me.
I could also cover the costs of setting up the space (building materials, pots, growin medium, lights, nutrients etc.)

So what would be needed to be paid by interested people, would be the mining hardware costs + some of the electricity costs ^^

I can get the three S3's cheaply from my friend, and there's a lot of other older hardware for sale in Finnish crypto forums which I could pick up. Seems like the avarage price for 1TH is around 1BTC, but I'd guess if theres enough people to buy a chunk of them, we could get them cheaper :)

I would be more interested to invest in the farming[1] then currently in mining, but if it is combine able why not :)

The last group buy we did is still hanging in the air. But if I can get my coins back I will give it to you. So or so the miner was meant to mine just for the Freicoin Foundation. 

Generally your project is very interesting. I wounder if we somehow can support such kind of more economic Freicoin Projects that boost Freicoin with donation matching?

Maybe the Freicoin Alliance itself can take part?

Also if we had something like Freipay we could support projects like that.

I would be glad if we have a pilot project like that in the farming area.

The main point for me here is:

It is as much non harming / nature firendly as possible (organic farming and reusing mining energy to heat)

Farming Products can be sold in Freicoin (matched Freicoins can be given back in this way).

It supports the network security of Freicoin 

What do others think? 

[1] Here from the Freicoin FAQ:

Q: You should fund hi-tech production, not farmers!
A: For the Freicoin Foundation, a sustainable future is the priority. You can live without a TV and a mobile phone, but without food... unlikely! Family farms are not funded by the state, and agriculture is a low-profit activity. They need our help

If people are interested in investing in the farming equipment, I will gladly open that for the community :) I thought to offer to fund those since it would add to the costs.. and it would be hard to share those resources when they are not used during the summer time. I do have few hectares of fields around the house however, that could be used for community involved farming (this is something I'll be driving here in the town next summer too), so maybe we can work something out?  :)

Hmm, I've thought about the donation matching and farming too.. I've farmed the Finola strain of hemp during the last two summers and do give out the products that I've made from those for free to some elderly folks (there's not many that have been interested though, since the Hemp is clumped in with the demonized cannabis products), but also have had to sold some of the produce for euros (to pay some bills and acquire other materials to make the hemp products with). I dont know if this would completely fit the Foundation's requirements?  :huh: 

On the other points I'm with you as well, I'm keen on using only natural, healthy.. "earthgrown" nutrients, and preferably local or national products, in my bakings  ;) And, when the Opencart module for Freicoin payments is done, that'll be the only way to pay for these products  B) 
Also the miners will be solely for supporting the Freicoin network.

Here is how I would set it up.

Aquaponics: Vegetables & Fish

Biodigestor: Fish & Plant Waste 

Solar & Bio Gas Generator: Mining

Cold climate waste biogas heat can warm the greenhouse.

I suggest you could use the plastic bottle techique of building to make the green house and the digestors

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QF5CRoPI1g

I have a certificate as a Greenhouse Technician. Given what I know about simple lean to or hoop houses you could definitely use mining in the mix to help heat the greenhouse as long as you have large enough solar array and bio gas genset.

http://www.simgas.com/

http://takamotobiogas.com/

http://www.gvepinternational.org/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSmI-aONio

Cool Bick! :) Thanks for the linkies and vids ^^ The biogas stuff is new to me, so will hafta look into them at some point.
I'm familiar with aqua- and hydroponics, though I like the soil better for the taste :P But, then again, I havent had the chance of using fish in the systems.. which I'd guess would make a big difference.

I've tried having simple composts inside the greenhouse for heat which have worked alright to certain degrees, but when the temps hit -30c and below outside, they've just not been enough :I With the miners it could be different though :)

Fish and Plants yields much higher with aquaponics.

If you have a large enough compost pile the inside of the pile remains very hot all year round even in Canada.

https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-resource-studies/sites/ca.environment-resource-studies/files/uploads/files/CGilson490s.pdf

http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/ista6/ista6web/presentation/p676.pdf

High levels of tilapia production were sustainable.

Closer attention to ad libitum feeding would increase annual production.

Production of basil was three times greater in aquaponics than in soil.

Production of okra was 18 times greater in aquaponics than in soil.

Low okra production in soil may reflect poor soil quality or the need for a longer establishment period. Treatment differences may decrease substantially with high quality soil or a longer production cycle.

Crop management is simpler in aquaponics than in soil.

Yeah, the yields differ hugely with soil vs aqua systems :) So far from the experiences I've had, DWC has been the most productive system. However, the taste, and apparently the nutritional values, suffer in these. Especially with bigger plants.
Incorporating the fish and the biogas systems would most probably change this a bit, so, like said, I'll definately look into these during this winter and hopefully get to testing in the summer at the latest ^^

I dont know if this would completely fit the Foundation's requirements?  :huh: 

Also the miners will be solely for supporting the Freicoin network.

Yea that's a good question, the Freicoin Community and the Freicoin Foundation should look into that.

I think this project could be also something for an Freicoin Grant like we intended to make in the beginning (see Freicoin Forum)

The original reason we didn't do that was, that we decided that the Freicoin Foundation itself should not decide with grant is eligible and if so with how many funds.

So Donation Marching was started, so that the Freicoin Community itself can decide as much as possible.

I see two possibilities. You can try to register your Farming / Mining project directly with the Freicoin Foundation.

Or the Freicoin Alliance could look into that topic.

It is now time to look as Freicoin Community more into this topic which projects we want to support,

As a a guide the Freicoin Foundations mission statement* could be used.

The main goals of the investments / loans should be:

- Encourage an fair economy.

- Encourage an non harming economy! 

- Encourage cooperation.

- Encourage transparency

- Helps to propagate Freicoin

What do you think?

*"The Freicoin Foundation seeks to create a world where commonplace non-usurious complementary currencies inspired by the works of Silvio Gesell are brought into being through economic development, charitable action, and the support of global commons and which engender perpetual prosperity through sustainable development"

I have a certificate as a Greenhouse Technician. Given what I know about simple lean to or hoop houses you could definitely use mining in the mix to help heat the greenhouse as long as you have large enough solar array and bio gas genset.

Lol Bick, you always good for an surprise :)

I see two possibilities. You can try to register your Farming / Mining project directly with the Freicoin Foundation.

Or the Freicoin Alliance could look into that topic.

I'd see benefit to do it via Freicoin Alliance :) Give the choice for the community for which projects to support, and allow people to develop those projects together.

It is now time to look as Freicoin Community more into this topic which projects we want to support,

As a a guide the Freicoin Foundations mission statement* could be used.

The main goals of the investments / loans should be:

- Encourage an fair economy.

- Encourage an non harming economy! 

- Encourage cooperation.

- Encourage transparency

- Helps to propagate Freicoin

What do you think?

*"The Freicoin Foundation seeks to create a world where commonplace non-usurious complementary currencies inspired by the works of Silvio Gesell are brought into being through economic development, charitable action, and the support of global commons and which engender perpetual prosperity through sustainable development"

I like it! :)

I dont see much of benefit in going at this project via the Micro Loans Project, since it would hinder the communitys participation a bit.

So, something like a community project via Freicoin Alliance / something incorporating the FreiPay idea, would be to my liking :) I was thinking of doing it purely as a community project at start; organize the group buy for the miners, detail and agree on the growing equipment / setup, fund those, and update progress on the thread. 

Soo... via Freicoin Alliance, or via FreiPay? or maybe other?

I've been looking for some cheap miners from Finnish forums, here's some:

- 2 x CoinCraft Desk Gen1 800GHs/1000GHs | 1btc/pcs (both modified to 4 module devices (4x 200ghs) + 4 x SilverStone SST-FM121B 120m)

- 2 x AntMiner S1 ~180GHs | 0,225btc/each (with double fans) (already sold)

- 3 x AntMiner S1 ~180GHs | 0,225btc/each (with single fans)

- 2 x AntMiner S1 ~180GHs + 1300w EVGA Supernova G2 PSU |  0,85btc

The whole bunch would be enough to heat a bigger area than the one room I have reserved for the project now, so we could only a few of these.

What'dya guys think? Look for others or maybe go for some of these? 

Gathered and ordered some items for the project:

- Seeds

Chillies: Fatalii, Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw, White Fatalii, Goats Weed, Caramel Bhut Jolokia, Turkish Pepper, Black Scorpion Tongue, H&J 2012, Omnicolor
Hemp: Finola, Ovela Ratsastaja x Finola
Herbs&Veggies: Hundreds of different kinds (aloe vera, basil, ginger, milk thistle, dandelion, turmeric, tarragon, sage, beets, broccoli, cabbages, carrots, rutabagas etc. etc.)

FG Jigsaw, White Jigsaw and Goats Weed will be grown for sure, as well as some variety of tomato and salad. Also few plants of either of the hemp strains will most probably be chosen, but others are negotiable and can be recommended and requested. I'd like to aim to grow digestive aids and immune boosters since they would be helpful for the elderly folks in the town :)

- Building materials

Wood: I have most of the wood that is needed
Insulation: To be acquired. One of the geezers here in the town will help to find this cheaply.
Walls/reflection: 1.2m x 50m of 98% reflective mylar.
Hanging system: Several meters of modular tracks

The geezer will also help with the designing for modifications + building for no costs :)

- Grow equipment
Pots: Bunch of different kinds and sizes, rounds, squares, long rectangles, stackable "walls" with pot holes on the side, etc.
Sensors: Temperature, moisture, co2
Controllers: Fan speed, timers, rotators

Water and Air pumps: I have couple of both already around
Lights: To be acquired
Hangers: To be acquired

Looking for cheap LED lights / possibility of ordering parts for DIY. If not available for project start, will go for the ballasts + MH&HPS bulbs.

- Grow medium 
Soil: Free of charge from the outside garden
Perlite & Vermiculite: I have about 80L worth of mixture (3:1) around
Expanded clay aggregate: I have 50L of this in the bags as well

Hydro: Free of charge from the well :D

Depending on plants to be grown and requests for systems, any of these can be chosen.

I have reserved the 3x AntMiner S3's and will pick them up later this week, or early next week at the latest.

As the seller for the miners listed in earlier is pretty near of the S3 pickup location, will try to bargain all of the miners for < 3 BTC
*edit: Most of the miners already sold, so wont bother the drive for the few that are left. Looking for other deals :)

Hi Fab, I would be ready to invest 1 BTC worth of Freicoins.

The miner can then run for the Basic income / word citizens project.

I fully trust you with all the details.

Maybe we can use this project also as an test-case for

The ethical invest Freicoin project as described here:

http://freicoinalliance.com/topic/79-freicoin-alliance-micro-loan-program-whats-the-next-step/

In this case I would give 25% matching to the basic income project.

I've decided to go with LED lights :) Two main reasons; "greener" choice and less EMF radiation.
Since there is no need for these lights for some weeks (seedlings will do fine under ESLs to start with), will try to find some used ones to keep the costs as low as possible. If not available, will order 4x of these:

http://ledfinland.fi/tuote/120w-led-finland-valaisin/ | http://ledfinland.fi/led-finland-valaisimet/120w-led-finland-valaisin-2/ (translate button at lower right corner of the page ;))

Starting the renovation / building next week ^^