Create a site for answers and how-to's

Project in short:

To build a site where users post requests for answers and practical and visualised solutions to problems of any sort, and a place for people to share any knowledge they possess presented as short clips of a few minutes each, and earn a few coins doing it. Part archive, part community.

It was Fabrizio that got me thinking when he suggested I should make some online Illustrator course. Though I am not comfortable with the teaching part, I got an idea. For besides me and my illustrator magic there are tons of nerds like me and other people out there with a similar rather narrow skill or expertise into something, and what I have come up with is the idea for an answers.com slash youtube.com slash lynda.com hybrid. Short solutions to every need.

Idea is to offer something better than what is already out there. To fill a gap I insist exists. A place where a professional window washer teach how to properly wash windows. A guy who has been working as aviation mechanic for 50 years teach people how to properly clean chainsaw engines. A 3 minute short history of the ups and downs in the Roman Empire. What are LED lights made of? People participating get paid via a rating system and a basic donation system distributing the site's income to its content providers, the users, and there should be more than enough for an extra bonus for the ones who run and own the place too.

Life-hacks, walkthroughs, wizardry and all sorts of subjects, questions seeking answers and problems needing solutions where people upload in response to these requests posted by other users. Anyone can request a solution to virtually any question. Let's say there would be a limit to the contributors to talk and walk in less than 3 minutes in understandable English. (See walkthrough further down the page). Registered users could then post shorts made with a simple app provided by the site, working with a camera and with a simple screen capture solution etc., or simply by uploading a video the user has prepared him- or herself. There would have to be some kind of moderation to avoid people posting illegal or annoying material of course. One answer I could request in this regard, could be for instance How does youtube.com manage to effectively moderate all its video clips?

post-3-0-99828900-1413584811_thumb.png

note: it's just a mock-up sketch, so no need to comment on the colours, name or logo or other things

Edited to add: 

Project horizon sketch ==> http://freicoinalliance.com/topic/26-create-a-site-for-answers-and-how-tos/?p=690

Edited by Prometheus
Completely rewritten the opening post and changed the title

Yes! This is exactly one use case I've been thinking about with the Service/Job portal :) I was kinda trying to get after something like those webshows you mention here on the other post when trying to lure you to keeping the online course for the Illustrator ;)

So indeed, theres all sorts of tools out there to have interactive "classes" online to fit a wide broad of uses...

Hehe, I'll use the Illustrator class as an example here again :P

The class could be held totally without webcams since you're so shy ( :D), by only using screen sharing. I believe theres applications already where you can have a "webcam chat" but only share your screen and audio. Like google hangouts? Similar end result could be also achieved with Skype group calls, by installing one of those apps that create a virtual webcam for you that you select in the Skype settings to be used for the session.

Or then by just having the "one way" share by using TeamViewer. Have the ~students for your class connect to your TeamViewer session, so they only see what your doing on the computer, and you dont see anything from them. And have the Mumble for audio chat, where you could mute the students for the while you're teaching. You could have the Mumbles text chat on the screen, so when someone has a question they could ask it there in text, or just request a "voice" for you to unmute them and allow them voice their question  :)

But yeah! I really like the idea for listing just micro-lessons :) You worded the idea well with some good examples!

I'd love to hear more discussion around these ideas and hopefully we can get something done indeed ^^ I've been keen to work on this for a while, but have been kept busy and have had only little time to spend on computer >< Though hopefully from the next weeks end, I'll get to dedicate my time towards this :)

I am more than willing to help act as the guru in residence to help you work on the effectiveness of the media being put out there. 

As a professional teacher there are always ways, especially in the digital world, to make learning something that improves the quality of education that people receive.

What is paramount is creating the absolutely best environment for learning that you can. Be it in the real world or in the virtual world.

Here are some thought provoking ideas on the conceptual background of education. It is kind of important I believe to watch these before you do anything in digital education or education. These 2 videos really outline education for the next 200 years.

https://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_build_a_school_in_the_cloud?language=en

https://www.ted.com/playlists/24/re_imagining_school

Now as a Montessorian I can attest to the fact that Sugata Mitra is correct and his vision of education will be the one that humanity will follow as it is already happening now simply with the use of current technology like google or youtube. Making whatever interests you available to others is an important step to sharing or teaching. Give the skills sets that people have here it would be ideal if you can test your system out with the students at my school. I can aid you in that by being the bridge between real and virtual instruction.

Some wonderful resources currently available for students and teachers is Khan Academy https://www.khanacademy.org/ the CK12 foundation https://ck12.org/ as well as Bitesize http://www.bbc.co.uk/education to name only a few that I have found very useful for students and have encouraged use in my classrooms.

http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education?language=en]http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education?language=en]http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education?language=en

Personally as an educator what is required is a method / methodology that is consistent and is proven to work for students of all cultures, ages etc. That method should allow students to receive guidance when necessary or asked for as well as providing needed mentoring or observation of the work being produced by the students but it must be something that students are drawn to. Intrinsic motivation is the key. The material should provide an internal motivation from the learner to learn that material and maintain that learning spirit through out the process. 

---

Where to start.

1. Have a body of knowledge outlined into a textbook or curriculum.
2. Subdivide the media you have into smaller lessons that students can choose.
3. Provide basic instruction on the topic that allows the student ample time to practice as well as be a means for self motivated learning.
4. Observe or provide didactic materials or answers to the practice the students do. Answers to the questions or problems.
5. Provide the next media in a reasonable sequence that allows for the progress of the student towards a goal of proficiency in the subject or software.

---

At very early ages the lessons you give should have a 3 period structure as students get older these periods become integrated often becoming a single lesson.

http://www.nnms.org/what-is-a-three-period-lesson/

The 3 period lesson is traditionally used in the Montessori classroom to  introduce a new concept or language to a child and broaden his understanding of the concept and enrich his language.

When the teacher gives a 3 period lesson, she is concise in her words, clear in her articulation, and slow in her movements.

This lesson is typically given with 3 objects of contrast and presented in isolation.  For example, if introducing the child to sandpaper letters (at NNMS this would be in cursive), we may offer “l,” “j” and “o” as they are contrasting both visually and auditorily.

In the above video, you will see our 3-6 teacher giving a 3 period lesson, introducing the child to the names of three countries from the North American continent map.  She had previously assessed the countries known from this map, and then selected these three to present, has he had demonstrated they were not yet mastered. Using the video as an example, I will explain each period:

1. Naming:

The adult gives the name of each country, slowly and one at a time.  The pieces of the map are first placed in isolation on the “control map,” away from the other pieces of the map. The teacher then further isolates the objects,  placing them on a blank space to help the child visually focus only on these pieces.

2. Recognition and Association:

Next, the adult asks the child to act upon this object in some way.  The child now is working kinestheticly with the objects and the concepts are being reinforced through this hands-on experience.  The child continues to hear the language and associate the object visually as well.  This 2nd period is the longest, as it is a fun and playful way to hold the child’s interest as he practices recognition and association.  For example, when working with the sandpaper letters a teacher may say (giving the sound the letter makes), “Trace ‘L'”…  “Put ‘O’ in my hand”…”Point to ‘J’.”  In the above video the teacher stays in this 2nd period, keeping him engaged through manipulation of the objects, until she believes he is ready for the 3rd period.

3. Recall:

The teacher now assesses comprehension by asking the child to recall the names.  She points to one of the objects and asks, “What is this?”  After the child answers, she does the same with the 2nd then the 3rd object.  If a child were not able to recall the names or gives a different name, the adult would simply give the associated name and then ends the lesson casually. She will make note to represent this lesson within a day or two.

You will hear the teacher end the lesson saying, “we will learn three more (names) tomorrow.”  When this takes place, she will first re-assess the names he has previously learned to check for retention.  Should any have been forgotten, she would represent those names before introducing new language.

Yes! This is exactly one use case I've been thinking about with the Service/Job portal :) I was kinda trying to get after something like those webshows you mention here on the other post when trying to lure you to keeping the online course for the Illustrator ;)

Hehe, nah, I just used those naughty sites as an example of existing technology, with well developed pay-per-view solutions. I'm not thinking about

to have interactive "classes" online to fit a wide broad of uses...

Infact, I'm not talking about classes at all, but seeing how some of the most popular channels at YouTube are presenting daily or weekly life-hacks, walkthroughs for games, well, educational stuff. 

My idea is to make such a "micro-lesson" site, where people all over the world could post shorts conforming to the format, let's say a minute's length or two, and get real credits for their efforts, payed in crypto currency, like Freicoins. How they present the lessons must be visual, like an old general showing off his shoe-shining trick or a kid showing how to solve any Rubik's cube combination in 29 operations. There could be challenges and bounties to solving classical math problems and a separate category for anything Schrödinger. 

The class could be held totally without webcams since you're so shy (  :D), by only using screen sharing. I believe theres applications already where you can have a "webcam chat" but only share your screen and audio. Like google hangouts? Similar end result could be also achieved with Skype group calls, by installing one of those apps that create a virtual webcam for you that you select in the Skype settings to be used for the session.

Or then by just having the "one way" share by using TeamViewer. Have the ~students for your class connect to your TeamViewer session, so they only see what your doing on the computer, and you dont see anything from them. And have the Mumble for audio chat, where you could mute the students for the while you're teaching. You could have the Mumbles text chat on the screen, so when someone has a question they could ask it there in text, or just request a "voice" for you to unmute them and allow them voice their question   :)

This is how I understand your project, I'm not really into that, allthough I got this idea after reading the OP in your thread. Like I said I am a terrible teacher, and shyness is not the issue. It's complicated, but I'm basically a hatter with the odd serious hallucinations and well, there are situations I try to avoid. But a twitter-youtube focused on tips and tricks? That's more like my cup of tea.

But yeah! I really like the idea for listing just micro-lessons  :)

Micro-lessons check. Quick solutions to any problem known to man. The ultimate hipster reference point. Think about it. How many times lately did you pick up your phone to google the solution to some trivial question? You go to wikipedia, look through youtube and try out a few links in google. That's the niche or demand such a site could fill. It's quite different from your concept, that's why I made a thread on it's own. Hope you're fine with that :) No hard feelings I hope :)

I am more than willing to help act as the guru in residence to help you work on the effectiveness of the media being put out there. 

Thanks for your lengthy reply, but I feel this is more along the line of Fabrizio's thinking. I made this thread to share the idea of a rather different concept, that doesn't really need the upper hand of teachers or professors. The users ARE the professors. Atleast for a few minutes a time. The twitter of a marriage between youtube and wikipedia sort off, where the users produce the lessons and is moderated through ranking and search algorithms similar to google's system and all the other tools of the trade. This would also yield valuable data on tons of people's interests and search history which is the invisible gold to take over for the yellow, the green and the black gold. 

You might want to take a few minutes and re-read what I posted. 

The idea of Montessori, Khan Academy and countless others sites is to let the learner choose their work and who provides the lesson.

Anyhow. Let me know when you get something working.

The one that really goes to what you are prescribing is having the cloud as the educator using a SOLE.

http://www.ted.com/pages/sole_toolkit

I for one employ SOLE approaches in my school and they are very effective.

Self Organized Learning Environment (SOLE) is a place where children can work in groups, access the internet and other software, follow up on a class activity or project or take them where their interests lead them. The term SOLE was popularized by Sugata Mitra.

Project SOLE was begun in 10 locations in HyderabadAndhra Pradesh, with an 11th one in Sindhudurg rural area of Maharashtra over a period of 2 years, 2008-2009.

Despite some potential, the concept of 'unsupervised learning environments' has drawn much criticism from educational circles.[1]

Infact, I'm not talking about classes at all, but seeing how some of the most popular channels at YouTube are presenting daily or weekly life-hacks, walkthroughs for games, well, educational stuff. 

My idea is to make such a "micro-lesson" site, where people all over the world could post shorts conforming to the format, let's say a minute's length or two, and get real credits for their efforts, payed in crypto currency, like Freicoins. How they present the lessons must be visual, like an old general showing off his shoe-shining trick or a kid showing how to solve any Rubik's cube combination in 29 operations. There could be challenges and bounties to solving classical math problems and a separate category for anything Schrödinger. 

This is how I understand your project, I'm not really into that, allthough I got this idea after reading the OP in your thread. Like I said I am a terrible teacher, and shyness is not the issue. It's complicated, but I'm basically a hatter with the odd serious hallucinations and well, there are situations I try to avoid. But a twitter-youtube focused on tips and tricks? That's more like my cup of tea.

Micro-lessons check. Quick solutions to any problem known to man. The ultimate hipster reference point. Think about it. How many times lately did you pick up your phone to google the solution to some trivial question? You go to wikipedia, look through youtube and try out a few links in google. That's the niche or demand such a site could fill. It's quite different from your concept, that's why I made a thread on it's own. Hope you're fine with that :) No hard feelings I hope :)

Hmm, yeah, I can see your point with the grand scheme which indeed is different in the core compared to the current Job/Service board layout :) I'm also horrible with putting my ideas in written form, so I hope my post didnt come out too "pushy"  :rolleyes: 

I totally agree that your topic is totally one deserving a thread of its own, and no hard feelings at all about... *hmm*.. whatever there would be to be to have hard feelings over for ;) Cant think of none  B)

I'm more than interested to continue this discussion here during developing the current service board, since both ideas still have some common goals and methods and sharing the different ideas for achieving those can benefit either :)

Hehe, what I hoped to relay in the earlier post too, was that I'm more than willing to contribute to this idea if indeed something develops out of this :) I only see the service board to currently be a little easier option to start from, drafting and testing the base what could be useful for a grand system like these micro-lessons ^^

*pfft! Where's the dolphin emoticon?!*

Well, I'm thinking about something like this:

post-3-0-62743800-1413457402_thumb.png

note: it's just a mock-up sketch, so no need to comment on the colours, name or logo or other things :)

Exactly how it would be coded isn't yet essential, there are plenty of ways and that's not the problem. The challenge is how one could fund and run such a site, and how to make good stirling from it. And most importantly, putting up a framework and a set of limitations that would define the site to fill the gap between answers.com and youtube sort of. And how can crypto-currency payments become involved without people necessarily having to pay for the solutions they seek, perhaps an option to rate, comment, and, an offer to donate a few satoshis or choice paypal accepted payments, if they find anything useful. 

I believe such a site could fill such a gap and the huge demand for quick look-ups these days. I know I use my pc and phone to dig up solutions to all kinds of things all the time. Ratings will be central and they will be rated for relevance and elegancy. Short videos of a few minutes each, giving you the quick and dirty solutions to any problem known to man. The real "Hitchhiker's Guide".

There would be a separate category for putting together Ikea furniture, one about angling, cooking, games, guitar playing, bird identification, emergency repairs, uses for gaffa tape, anything really.

Let's say I am about to turn a potato into a decent meal, I type in "potato", and would hopefully get a bunch of hits for people teaching how to make DIY fries, crisps, potato cannons, potato stamp, potato flour, how to prepare potatoes in any way possible and a one minute short about the life of a medieval priest who based all his preaching on the potato. 

Now I know, only eye-candy and nothing solid. But what would it take to make a couple of geniuses to cough up a few algorithms to make Right sense out of a heavily tagged, rated and categorised video db. I though about it. Maybe not start with videos at all, but rather try to see what it takes to make another answers.com, only with an underlying goal to go video grade in step 2 on the same db, to develop it into a working beta to show investors. That we have a product, not just the idea.

Anyone here on the board who would happen to know where I can find people who would be clever enough to write down a clever next generation search engine? Where do they make the best search engines? MiT? Where can I start to dig for answers? To sketch up a model of how it will work, and find out who can write it and what it will cost. 

Walkthrough:

==> Log in

==> Check balance, anyone donated to any of your "rights"?

==> Check requests/submitted problems within your field of expertise

==> Choose a problem you can solve

==> Make a webcam short where you explain the solution, no more than 3 min.

==> Preview and Submit your video (via some form of moderation)

==> Check that your last video shows up properly

==> Log out

==> Wait for people to rate your "rights" and donate to your wallet address

Catch phrase:

-- You have a Right to question everything, and you have a Right to explain it!

PS: I'm not joking here guys. The transparency I have chosen is deliberate. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with code and implementations a little bit for the job board, and have reached the same conclusions and questions you've aired. Structuring the service and creating new algorithms accordingly indeed seems to be the most ~difficult/~important part to have flexibility and smooth usability.

Did you happen to get inspired to dig/research into these subjects? :) I would be interested to hear any points or tips if ye did ;)

I have some contacts in few tech universities in Helsinki and will try to visit some of their workshops in this subject when getting a chance.

Let me know when you are ready to beta test. I would be keen on doing some sample "lessons" for this site as there are number of people keen on learning Montessori methods or building Montessori materials.

Also I think you should incorporate the Creative Commons licenses in your walkthrough so that those posting these informative lessons are able to retain copyright or give it away and yet still get paid via your system.

Sorry guys, I've not been active much lately. Lots of crap has happened in my life these last couple of weeks and I've been rather miserable. Short story is my best mate since I was three just died, and yesterday I cut my bleeding hair off in some vain attempt at feeling better. Well. Anyway, disclaimer up, here's what I've been thinking:

My coding skills are limited to html and css at best. So building a search engine, well, it's not my table, but though I changed the title to involve a search engine, well, as Fabrizio says, it's an obstacle, but it doesn't have to be one, and I am not really sure what to call this eh site or THING. Cause the thing is, how we can make the site self sustainable? Meaning that somehow, (users) perhaps from being rewarded in satoshis or simply for the fame and glory (they're still out there), there must be a dynamics here, that in the process of posting a requested solution to a problem, tagging and categorising these requests and solutions is what will be the first vital thing, and there must be a system of rating to find the best solutions and some system for automatically moderating, it could easily turn out to be too bloody impossible to waste ones time with. But. Like, if you want to know for instance "why water is heavier than air?", you will have to tag your question with keywords the user would expect his solution from. If the user wants the scientific dry factual approach, he'd hook off "physics, thermo dynamics..." whatever he'd expect the solution to include. However, this guy may want to know how Plato or Archimedes would explain it, or for that matter what the Bible has to say about it, so then he'd put those keywords in his request. See where I'm going?

I figured I could make some kind of mock-up demonstration when I have a clearer picture, showing features I'd expect this, eh, THING (search engine or what one should call it), to include. I thought about a format using the concept from quizzies like there is a radio show in Norway called "20 questions". The contestants must name a word a listener has sent in, and they can ask the host up to 20 questions to find the correct word, well, you get it. Typically the first question is whether this word is describing something in the mineral kingdom, animal kingdom or plant kingdom etc. and then they start searching. Perhaps there could be some kind of set framework, or some standard questions users must answer, I don't know?

I haven't tossed this in the bin just yet, for I believe it is a good idea. This product isn't out there as far as I can see. Closest I get is youtube.com, answers.com and google.com, it has element of all three, which if put together, this Right! thing could potentially enhance the internet experience much like these three mentioned sites did when they showed up. You'll never know, you know....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking something like Lynda.com only with a much lower entry threshold and a much wider target audience.

Lynda.com delivers "online video tutorials to help you learn software, creative, and business skills." Prices range from $25 per month for Basic ($250 annually) to $37.50 per month for Premium ($375 annually). More at their about page payment plans page FAQ page. I'm thinking a near unlimited amount of subjects, categories and skills, and based on crypto currency, preferably Freicoin.

According to the August 12, 2013 issue of Forbes (a year old article) "Subscribers [to lynda.com] pay $25 a month, or $250 a year, to access 3- to 20-minute courses on Web design, 3-D animation, Photoshop, Excel and CAD, among others, adding up to $100 million in revenue last year. All that has helped Lynda.com build a huge fan base and a library of 100,000 videos." -- Now that's one to beat. And they've been around since the nineties, with a green bottomline every year since 1997. Solid.

Another site to consider is Coursera.org which provides courses online, many of which are rewarded in study points as given in universities. With more than 10 million users they provide more than 800 courses.

According to their about page, "Coursera is an education platform that partners with top universities and organizations worldwide, to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free." And further: "We envision a future where everyone has access to a world-class education. We aim to empower people with education that will improve their lives, the lives of their families, and the communities they live in."

So in addition to being free and open to anyone, it's hardly non-profit and there is a good mission involved. 

According to their Wikipedia article, "The contract between Coursera and participating universities contains a "brainstorming" list of ways to generate revenue, including verified certification fees (started in 2012 as Signature Track), introducing students to potential employers and recruiters (with student consent), tutoring, sponsorships and tuition fees In September 2013 it announced it had earned $1 million in revenue through verified certificates that authenticate successful course completion. As of December 2013 the company had raised $85 million in venture capital John Doerr suggested that people will pay for "valuable, premium services". Any revenue stream will be divided, with schools receiving a small percentage of revenue and 20% of gross profits." [...] "Coursera will offer proctored exams at the end of these courses through ProctorU, an online proctoring service that connects proctors and students via webcam. The service will cost $60–$90."

All good stuff, and showing there is great economic potential in online education and micro-lessons. I'll try to keep this potato warm. And please, if anyone has links to related sites and services, please share them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am just looking to sort out the projects a little bit, so that it is more visible which project is in suggestion mode, already running or finished, not that we end up like in the Freicoin Forum with tons of suggestions and few finished projects.

Is this project still in suggestion mode, or already running?

And can you specify and short Title for the project? And describe in the beginning Post which some few sentences what it is all about?

Thank you for that you do for Freicoin,

Arcurus

I'll do. Haven't been giving this thing much thought lately I'm afraid, but I still think it's a viable idea that I wish to follow up. But with no money and lacking necessary skills and not much time to work on it, well, it takes time. I'll fix the opening post again and try not to leave out anything that is referred to in the the thread. Think I'll just shorten the title and add a sort of abstract at the bottom of the head post.

-- Perhaps it would be an idea to make a sticky thread with a 'starting post template' or some basic formatting demands for posting new threads/projects? Sort of a disposition.

PS: Reworked the thread opening post, any better?

I'll do. Haven't been giving this thing much thought lately I'm afraid, but I still think it's a viable idea that I wish to follow up. But with no money and lacking necessary skills and not much time to work on it, well, it takes time. I'll fix the opening post again and try not to leave out anything that is referred to in the the thread. Think I'll just shorten the title and add a sort of abstract at the bottom of the head post.

-- Perhaps it would be an idea to make a sticky thread with a 'starting post template' or some basic formatting demands for posting new threads/projects? Sort of a disposition.

PS: Reworked the thread opening post, any better?

yea much better! Just the title need some verb like "Creating a place..." 

Why not start with creating the space here? Keep it simple in the begining, just post nice learning videos and accept donations to get started with...

Hopefully now it's fine, and yes, as soon as I can agree with myself as to exactly what it is this site should be, I will hopefully manage to put together some working prototype to launch at some point in time not too distant. I will have to work out exactly what code is needed and I will have to find a solution as to how to produce this code. Thorough analyses of economic issues and a sound budget and prospect of some kind. Man, I am like a mermaid with a bicycle in all nearly these issues. But yeah, I will have to produce a working prototype sooner rather than later.

Hi Prometheus,

as said if you want just start here, I would be happy to donate for educating videos.

I think also Bick would be very interested with his school.

If things grow bigger you could create an separate site.

Encouraging sharing knowledge should be one of the main projects of the Alliance.

All the good,

Arcurus 

At the moment I don't have much of a time horizon established, but by structuring my thoughts a bit I can sketch up the following template of progress based on my ideas and intentions. This is just a sketch, but you get the idea.

1. Level of Formation - This is present. To shape an Abstract for a Conceptual Framework designed to be the Nucleus of Intent of the site which the whole site will rest on for the rest of its existence. At this level no code will be written, save perhaps a mock-up prototype of the site to be used for reference on the next level. Also at this level, an estimate of funding needed must be produced--
  2. Level of Investment - To make a Prospect meant for investors to build capital needed to build the site based on the Nucleus of Intent, Budget and the Prototype produced while on level 1--
  3. Level of Animation - When the investment goal is reached it is time to produce the code for the site itself and notch up to Beta mode. All real coding and design will happen here, based on the requirements and plans produced--
  4. Level of Enlightenment - The Grand Release, the Prometheus serves the flame of the gods and posts a request for "Finding Hercules"--

The greatest mistakes sites like Wikipedia are struggling from today were made in the very foundation and done-never-to-be-undone already long before the site was launched. Funding. With an intent of being non-profit they forgot that running such a site costs quite a bit of sterling from one day to the next. So the first thing that has to be certain even before anything else, is that people who will eventually run this site will have their salaries paid in full, and investors be paid back generously, from earnings produced by the site itself. The site must be self-sustainable. Anyone can fly, it's really simple, just ask Ikaros, there are just some in many cases, extremely important and often expensive things you need to sort out first. Wikipedia is the IRL equivalent to D Adam's 'Hitchhikers Guide', but still, they are unable to pay the rent and vital things like allowing for butter on its workers' bread. Why don't they make a $10 low-enty-level disposable device to feed information-hungry people all over the globe or something?

If this site is to rely on charity alone it wouldn't last long I'm afraid (glance back to Wikipedia), people will have to pay for it, and this is where the extremely low threshold of cryptocoins comes to play. I believe people would gladly pay a 100th of a pence to access millions of educational shorts, if they knew it was possible, and wouldn't mind the transactions happening by themselves as long as they could trust the security and simplicity of the system-- IF the product they get in return holds proper standard and meets their needs. And some. 

So much for now.